Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

My Zebra Finches

      Who loves Zebra finch? Many of you who had or have one obviously do. Even if you don't, you must love the way they take a bath and mate like theirs no tomorrow! Zebra finches love to mate and produce tons and tons of eggs which turn into babies in less than a month! If you never had one you should think about getting one.

     Zebra finches are about 4 inches long when they are fully grown. There call is really beautiful to hear when you wake up in the morning, at least better than my parakeets that has a high pitched call that beats my ear drums like a police siren.

     Talking about my Zebra finches, they just had 8 babies (4 babies each pair, because I have two pairs), from the 8 eggs 6 of them hatched. If I tell you what I did for my birds you would think I am just a jobless guy who has nothing better to do! Well if you wanna know here I go...

The first thing I did when I got my finches was make a bigger cage out of a box (big card board box the size of a old television box, with clear tarp on the front for view and many holes for air)because I felt sorry for them having no room in the $20 cage from pet land. I had them in there for 3 days and realized it makes my room look bad, I actually stuck my head into test out the air circulation, man it was stale, but it didn't seem to bother them. After a while I was walking to the bank and spotted a hardware store, right than an idea popped up in my head. I bought 10 feet of a cage like material.

     After I made the cage, I felt like starting my own cage selling business! :), my birds loved it! How do I know? Because in no time they started to lay eggs, both pairs in the same cage. That unbelievable because most of these bird experts stated that, not to keep your zebra finch pairs in the same cage because they will pluck each other feathers out and it can become brutal. But they actually took care of each other babies!

     It has been a while since my pairs laid any eggs. I am not sure why, maybe because I actually bought them a big breeding cage, and they rather prefer my homemade cage? I do see them mating so I am hoping for a few more eggs. But other than that I hope my zebra finch experience has made you a zebra finch lover too!

     If you want to see my home made cage, and my zebra finch babies please leave a comment and I will post a picture or post a video :).

No comments:

Post a Comment